Thursday, 7 October 2010

Commemorative Label Box Sets

Although I hadn't really started researching my record label limited edition box set brief yet, I printed out a couple of images for the group tutorial today that represent my intentions. The idea is that the brief is a collectable box set for fans and to commemorate the labels birthday. The collectable aspect of the project will be from high production values, adding a desirable luxury feel. I'm not 100 % sure of the label yet but Ninja Tune have just celebrated their 20th birthday so I'm leaning toward them. 
In fact, I used their recent commemorative box set as an example earlier:
It contains 6 x CD / LP of rare and unreleased tracks, a large book detailing the history of the label as well as posters, stickers... all wrapped up in a nice presentation box. 
I also used WARP Record's 20th Anniversary box as an example:
A similar affair to the Ninja Tune collection - rare vinyl and CD collections + publication.
The emphasis of these seems to be on the exclusivity of the items and the representation of the respective labels brand equity in the art direction for each. Throw in nice finished and you have a very desirable. collectable and expensive box set. 
This brief really is a chance for me to show off my packaging design skills as well as my finishing skills. I chose it because I feel it important to have a brief at the higher end of the production ladder (in the first two I will be producing relatively throw away items) to show variety in my portfolio. 
Like I say, as of yet I haven't really touch on this brief but I hope the above images give you a sense of what I hope to achieve with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment