Whilst visiting Generation Press they were kind enough to put together a box of printed work for me to take home and admire. Lucky me! Exceptional finishing and standards galore.
I started to attempt to photograph the contents of the box but as with Leeds this time of year it was a particularly grey day with poor natural light so my photos really didn't do the work justice. I decided to borrow some images of the work in the box from the new GP image gallery as they are photographed properly.
This simple business card really does show that printing onto a coloured stock works wonders. The white logo has been heat pressed into the stock with a specially made die creating debossed depressions into the stock. These depressions not only add an impression of expense to the job but more importantly create a crisp edge for the printed area in the sunken part. Important to note that each side would have been printed on separate pieces of card, duplexed then trimmed down.
This invite has five pieces of stock duplexed together. Crazy! I think Anand said this meant is ended up at around 1000 gsm. A solid invite that directly reflects the book (below). The invite is for the launch of the Pulp Paper book printed by GP in collaboration with KentLyons and GF Smith paper.
Pulp Paper book - chronicling the paper making process. It contains signatures made from different paper stocks and has input from many of the design industries leading practitioners in the 'A Conversation About Paper sections'.
I was actually going to buy this book from the Design Museum over summer but thought it a little too expensive for my poor student budget. I'm very happy that they popped a copy into my box of tricks.
Out all the business cards in the box this one is my favorite. Simple foil heat-pressed typography on each side with a triplexed stock creating a colour running through the centre. Very elegent. I think I would like my own business cards to remain simple at face value but have a special element like this triplex to add a professional touch. It could prove expensive though.
Typographic exhibition promo ephemera made using dies to press the design into the stock. Beautifully finished. The exhibition is for the designs of Lou Dorfsmann at the Kemisty Gallery.
D&AD Notebook - designed by Build. I love the printed duplex cover with the die cut hexagon revealing the stock below.
One of Anand's original designs - two colour matt foils heat-pressed into some lovely textured stock. The invites also have a blue edging in the thick card stock.
Build retrospective book - full colour book printed with a spot colour on a variety of stocks. I like the way a folded poster has been used as the cover sleeve, leaving a small gap showing the spot colour on the reverse of the poster / sleeve - adding continuity throughout the whole job.
I selected this as an example of the seemingly unlimited stocks and process combinations available at GP. Important to note that GP use FSC certified stock wherever possible.
Flyer designed by Made Thought for Established & Sons. This is a great example of heat-pressing black foil with a small depression then pressing over the top with a die at a much deeper depression.
Many more items in the box which are going to provide me with a great source of inspiration over the next year. Love it!


































No comments:
Post a Comment